Coconut oil has been getting a lot of buzz recently, and when you look at all its different uses and benefits, there’s no wonder why! Coconut oil can be utilized for a variety of home and health situations – but did you also know it can be used on small pets to help their dry skin, digestive systems and much more?
Coconut oil contains Medium Chain Triglycerides (MCT), naturally occurring saturated fats that have a host of health benefits for small animals. MCTs are easily digested, absorbed and used to nourish and improve skin appearance and your pet’s overall health. Let’s explore six amazing reasons your pet can benefit from MCT-rich coconut oil being added to their daily life!
Coconut oil works wonders on a pet with dry, irritated skin!
- It can help clear up skin conditions such as eczema and itchy skin. Coconut oil has antiviral, antibacterial, antimicrobial and antiprotozoal properties. This aids dry skin by reducing yeast and fungus on contact, both inside and out!
- It reduces allergic reactions and improves skin health. Coconut oil contains lauric acid, one of the main “super ingredients,” which contains anti-virus, anti-yeast, anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties that clear up allergic reactions fast.
- It can help to heal cuts and wounds quickly and effectively. Coconut oil’s medium-chain fatty acids fight parasites, yeasts, fungi and bacteria, making it the perfect at-home remedy for dressing cuts or wounds of every description.
Digestive System Support
Coconut oil’s benefits do not stop here!
- Coconut oil can improve nutrient absorption and digestion. The lauric acid coconut oil contains is a healthy fat that is easily digestible and helps the body to absorb vitamins and nutrients from food more efficiently. If coconut oil is part of your pet’s everyday diet, they will absorb more nutrients from the foods they eat!
- It keeps parasites, fungi and bad bacteria at bay. Lauric acid obviously has many roles in coconut oil, one of which is breaking down the cellular wall of parasites, fungi and bad bacteria in your pet’s intestines and stomach, which will result in less bloating and indigestion!
- It helps to heal digestive disorders. The natural anti-inflammatory properties that coconut oil possesses help to prevent chronic inflammation and heal injuries in the digestive tract. In addition, the medium-chain fatty acids prevent strain on the digestive tract.
The Bottom Line
Using coconut oil for your small animals will keep them healthy and happy. We have several products that contain coconut oil for you to shop right now so you can watch them change for the better right before your eyes!
You’ve probably been hearing a lot about CBD oil and its potential medicinal benefits. CBD, short for cannabidiol, has a host of benefits for both pets and humans and has been recommended by doctors and veterinarians. It is a naturally-occurring component of industrial hemp/cannabis. According to the U.S. Government, CBD is a cannabinoid devoid of psychoactive effect. CBD can keep the body balanced by managing overall physical and mental awareness.
CBD oil is not to be confused with hemp seed oil. The whole plant hemp extract used in Chill Quills has a plethora of healthy components. It contains over 80 different phytocannabinoids such as CBD, CBG and CBN; natural molecules and phytochemical compounds such as amino acids, carbohydrates, vitamins (B1, B2, B6, D), fatty acids (omega 3 & 6), trace minerals (iron, zinc, calcium, magnesium, potassium), beta-carotene, chlorophyll, flavonoids and much more!
Conversely, hemp seed oil is much different from hemp extract. Standard hemp seed oil is produced by cold-pressing the seeds, as opposed to whole hemp extract CBD oil, which is an extraction of the hemp plant itself. Though hemp seed oil is considered a nutritive food, it lacks the naturally-occurring cannabinoids, terpenes and other components that hemp extracts contain.
Now that you know what CBD oil is and where it comes from, let’s dive into how CBD can benefit your pet!
Anxiety and Stress
CBD has proven its effectiveness in aiding pets’ anxiety and stress in multiple scientific studies. If your pet gets scared during thunderstorms, when guests are over or when you’re not around, CBD oil can help! Specific receptors in the body are activated when CBD enters a mammal’s endocannabinoid system, which allows for two-way communication between body streams. This communication makes it easier for the body to relieve tension and temporary anxiety because the receptors can now “speak” to each other.
CBD oil can also help to relieve pain. Cornell University led the way in proving CBD’s pain-relieving properties by conducting research in 2018 using dogs suffering from arthritis. The results showed that CBD oil increased comfort and activity in the home environment for dogs, and the veterinary assessments of pain were also favorable. CBD oil not only helps with arthritis, but also joint problems and joint pain.
In addition to anxiety and pain, CBD can help to reduce inflammation as well. One study, conducted in 2012, tested the use of CBD on rats and found that CBD dramatically reduced the amount of inflammation they had. CBD can combat inflammation and its associated oxidative stress in many ways, including exerting an immunosuppressive effect on macrophages and microglial cells, which play a role in inflammation.
Digestion is yet another area CBD can help your pet in. The endocannabinoid system, located in the gut, helps to regulate food intake, nausea, inflammation and other processes. When the oil interacts with receptors in the gut, it reduces inflammation, making digestion easier for your pet.
The Bottom Line
CBD oil is rising in popularity as a natural alternative to conventional pet medications. With positive effects on everything from separation anxiety and stress to joint pain and inflammation, CBD is proven to be beneficial for pets, which is why we included it as a hero ingredient in Chill Quills! Shop this organic, natural product via the link below to see how CBD oil can help your pet!